The Sustainable Green Trader Awards are back! Your chance to show what you are doing to make your stall as sustainable as possible and be in with a chance of winning a free pitch at Glastonbury 2014!
What’s it all about?
For the 7th year, Glastonbury Festival in association with Greenpeace will be searching the Festival for the traders doing the most to be clean, green and fair. Glastonbury recognises that the festival has an impact on the environment and is committed to minimising any negative impact. Our traders, too, are an essential part of that, and these Awards recognise the efforts you go to to help us make the Festival as sustainable as possible.
How does it work?
A dedicated Green Trader Award Team will be surveying all the traders in advance of the festival and on site. With over 850 traders at the festival, it’s a hard job to find the worthiest winners, so we really need you to shout about what you are doing to be in with a chance. If you’ve traded at Glastonbury Festival before, what have you done since last time to improve your environmental footprint? If it’s your first time, how can you dazzle us with your energy efficiency and sustainability?
There are different prizes to be won and all will be awarded amidst great fanfare on the Saturday morning of the Festival, so that festival-goers can admire your awards. Here’s what you could win:
Gold Award – Food: free pitch at Glastonbury Festival 2014, banner plus goodies
Silver Award – Food: half-price pitch at Glastonbury Festival 2014, banner plus goodies
Gold Award – Non-food: free pitch at Glastonbury Festival 2014, banner plus goodies
Silver Award – Non-food: half-price pitch at Glastonbury Festival 2014, banner plus goodies
These awards will get a prestigious certificate and bag of goodies:
NCASS Award for Energy Efficiency
Sustainable Food Award
Ethical Trade Award
Greenpeace Award for Best Trader in the Greenfields
And for the first time ever, we will also be holding a People’s Choice Award, inviting festival-goers to vote for the trader they think doing the most to be clean, green and fair.
Plus, every trader taking part in the survey will get a beautiful sticker to show that they have participated. You might think you are not the greenest of them all, but we are looking for traders making an effort to improve year on year, and even small steps are worthwhile and might win you an award!
What do I have to do?
1. When planning your stall at Glastonbury Festival think about being as clean, green and fair as possible. There are loads of things you can do to reduce the impact your stall has on the planet, which can also save you money. There are a few tips below to get you started.
2. Complete this online survey – open until Friday 14 June.
3. Look out for the Green Trader Award Team who will be coming to talk to you on site.
Top tips – save the planet and save money!
- Minimise your packaging and make sure all packaging, cups, cutlery etc. is biodegradable. Think about other ways to reduce your waste – simple things like using bottles of ketchup rather than sachets.
- Use energy saving lightbulbs and LEDs. LEDs use 90% less energy than incandescent lightbulbs. Go a step further and invest in solar panels to supply your own energy needs.
- Know where your stock comes from, who produces it and make it ethical – organic, fair trade, low impact where possible. Tell your customers about it too.
- Get creative – recycle materials to make your stall look unique!
- Make sure you have read and understood the festival rules and regulations and pay particular attention to the waste and litter guidelines. Encourage your customers to help you keep your area safe and clean by providing them with the facilities to do so.
If you are a food trader, you might want to take a look at the Sustain Good Food Guide for Festivals, which has loads of useful info about serving up sustainable food. You can download it here.